Welcome

The purpose of this blog is to keep friends, family and support team members up to date on the progress of ministry at Christ Community Church (PCA) and of the things that we are learning in the process. Please take some time to read through a few of the posts.

- Zack Carden

Get E-mail Notifications of New Posts

Google Groups Subscribe to The Cardens' Blog Network
Email:
Browse Archives at groups.google.com

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Hearts of the Children

The Backyard Vacation Bible School for Christ Community Church finished on Sunday with a Picnic after church. Mike (the Pastor) shared these statistics with us: there were a total of 95 kids and 50% of those did not go to Christ Community Church. I thought that was fabulous. I was very impressed with the evangelical nature of the program and wondered whether we should even ever think of having it in a church facility whenever we build one. There is a clear benefit to having it in a community where kids of all backgrounds can come and join in the fun and the host homes can keep up with their neighbors throughout the year.

As I was working at one home-site I noticed a little girl who lived across the street come out to get her mail. She was intrigued with the activities we were doing at the host home so much so that she dropped one of her envelopes without even noticing. I waved to get her attention and pointed the envelope out to her. Later, she came cruising by on a scooter and waved to us as she passed, obviously trying to get a closer look at just what we were doing. Perhaps next year she will join us.

It seems to me that these days the easiest way to the heart of the parents is through the hearts of the children. In an age where parents are hyper-concerned about their children and their safety, etc. it speaks volumes when people pay attention to children.

I met a lady last week who hung back just to talk to me. She was a visitor with two children and wanted to know what exactly was available for children. She told me that, as they looked for a home church, what was most important for them was that their children be engaged with the truth of Who God is. Now I'm sure they were interested in sermon style, worship style, warmth of the church and all, but what she emphasized is that children's ministry was the "make it or break it" item they were looking for.

One of the reasons that I have chosen to do what I do, is that I firmly believe if we wait to minister to our children, then we will lose them. I am also a big believer in ministering to youth, don't get me wrong, but I believe that nine times out of ten, if you haven't won their hearts before they enter High School, then it is much harder to minister to them.

Parents are the primary disciplers of their children. This is true and I believe that 100%, but it is important that the church assist them. I believe that the church experience our little ones have is crucial to their desire to remain connected or disconnect later. I think the biggest mistake we make in children's ministry is to go to one of two extremes. Either we make it so fun that we lose the point and teach the child nothing OR we focus so heavily on the cognitive process that we make it extremely dull. There is a comfortable middle which is to make learning fun. If we can achieve this then we can make it easier on parents who have to fight the battle of the Sunday Morning "Idon'twannago".

This is what I'm laboring toward: solid teaching with sensational fun. I continue to labor toward the goal. Pray for me as I do.

No comments: